Situation Analysis: Sierra Leone
- Document source:
-
Date:
6 November 1997
Embargo and Sanctions
The United Nations Security Council officially endorsed oil, arms and travel embargoes against the Sierra Leone junta at the start of October. Humanitarian supplies are exempt from the blockade. The specifics of the sanctions have not been ironed out, and the embargo is permeable by road from Guinea. ECOMOG continues to enforce the sea embargo around the port area, although a Ukrainian ship under AFRC escort managed to evade the embargo and deliver arms and ammunition to the junta. AFRC is imposing its own "embargo" against the ECOMOG forces at Lungi, attempting to cut them off from urban supplies by preventing traders from leaving Freetown by boat to deliver goods to the airport area, which is separated from the Freetown peninsula by estuary. ECOMOG maintains control of the airport, and continues to re-supply by air, but the AFRC has significant anti-aircraft weaponry and some secured positions around the Lungi area. Although the embargo does impact the most vulnerable of the population, limiting availability of rice and milk and driving prices of staples up considerably-sugar and flour have more than doubled in price since the coup-the major problem is purchasing power rather than availability. Although now in the traditional "hungry season", there are not signs of significant malnutrition among the general population, although there will be areas of concern. According to an ICRC food security survey undertaken in August and September and covering Kailahun, Kenema, Moyamba, Bombali, Tonkolili and Port Loko, "food production and its resultant availability to the population is certainly better than last year and in many instances better than pre-war. The major limiting factor in these past months is the poor marketability for cash crops."Diplomacy and Peace Accord
With un-sanctioned military action by ECOMOG, continued looting and harassment of civilians by armed men in Freetown, and an upsurge in the numbers of internally displaced persons, signs of peace and resolution were distant and shaky. But to the surprise of most regional observers, the Committee of Five-consisting of high level representation from Guinea, Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria and Liberia-met with the junta who agreed to a peace plan and a 6-month time table for the restoration of the ousted government. Prior to meeting with the ruling junta, the C-5 met with rebel leader Foday Sankoh in Abuja, gaining his endorsement of negotiations and a hand-over plan, and pre-empting any charges of exclusion from the RUF components of the AFRC. The negotiations, held in Conakry on 22 October, came on the heels of strong and repeated rumours of a split within the AFRC leadership, with the hard-line RUF aspects being unwilling to hand-over power. The AFRC is said to be weary and willing to hand-over to civilian rule. This delicate power balance will continue to be the deciding factor in the peace efforts. The C-5 communiqué calls for: an immediate cease fire
the reinstatement of President Kabbah by April 23, 1998
the continued enforcement of sanctions
the demobilisation of all combatants (1-31 December)
the provision of humanitarian assistance (to begin November 14) and return of refugees and IDPs (to begin 1 December)
immunity for leaders of the coup
modalities for broadening the power base
Both sides agreed to continue discussions on the details of the above. Additionally, the active participation of Foday Sankoh in the peace process was not ruled out. Meanwhile, President Kabbah was working on a 90-day programme to purse upon his restoration to power, outlining plans of a "more representative and democratic government". He said that Sierra Leone would need a Marshall-type plan in order to rebuild the country's shattered infrastructure. The restoration to civilian rule will become increasingly dependent on the will of the RUF to concede power and demobilise, and the role of Foday Sankoh in the process is crucial. The RUF have had a productive five months since the coup, and are not likely to budge from their new position of strength without clear motivation. There is a fundamental lack of trust of the Nigerian components of ECOMOG and a disarming of the military is realistic only if done by non-Nigerian forces. Although the announcement of the peace plan was met with great relief and resulted in dancing at some checkpoints and the "happy fire" of guns in the air, the general population is guardedly optimistic. Although the mass exodus from Freetown stopped, there were not large numbers of residents returning to the city either. In fact, the number of people both fleeing from and returning to Freetown was roughly equal. Many citizens had a "wait and see" attitude, with some displaying hope for the first three months of the plan only.Liberia/Kamajohs
Liberia closed its doors to Sierra Leonean refugees on 22 October, deploying police and immigration along the border. There are some 20,000 Sierra Leonean refugees residing in camps near border towns. Liberian President Charles Taylor vehemently denied assisting or arming either side in the conflict. After the ECOMOG bombardment, he denied ECOMOG use of Liberian airspace and airstrips for offensives manoeuvres into Sierra Leone, saying that any military action would have to be "explicitly sanctioned" by ECOWAS and have the approval of the UN Security Council. The kamajohs did not immediately respect the cease fire and were active after the announcement, particularly around the areas of Bo and Kenema. The kamajohs control much of the area between Kenema and Zimmi. The kamajohs say they are taking their orders directly from their de facto leader, Sam Hinga Norman, who is said to be annoyed that the role of the kamajohs went unacknowledged in the peace plan. With signs they have been re-supplied, and their numbers swollen from recruitment over the past five months, the kamajohs could become a destabilising force on their own. (See ICG Situation Analysis, May 1997)Economy
The economy remains at a standstill, and is almost completely informal under the tightened embargo. Under the Kabbah regime, 70% of the country's income came from custom duties. With the embargo making official imports non-existent, the government's monthly income in June was zero. In July it rose to $38,000 after the re-opening of the Sierra Leone Commercial Bank. In the four months of this year prior to the coup, the government's average monthly income stood at $760,000. However remote the signs of economic stability are, they have been enough for a trickling of Lebanese businessmen to return to assess potential opportunities within the precarious power structure. At least two foreign-owned businesses have re-started operations, including the Sierra Leone brewery, jointly owned by Heineken and Guinness, and the Seaboard Flour Mill, a US interest.This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.