Rastriya Swabhiman
October 4, 2005, in Pokhara, Nepal

Imprisoned reporter Pahari died after being denied proper medical treatment by authorities. Pahari, 30, who worked for the weekly Rastriya Swabhiman, died of multiple illnesses in a hospital in Pokhara, 80 miles (130 kilometers) northwest of Kathmandu, according to local journalist groups. Local doctors had recommended Pahari be transferred to Kathmandu for better treatment, and members of the Federation of Nepalese Journalists (FNJ) in Pokhara offered to pay to send him, the FNJ said. But officials refused, citing security concerns. He was provided treatment at the local hospital only after repeated appeals by his wife, Durga Pahari, local journalists told CPJ.

Pahari was detained by security forces in the village of Khorako Mukh, in western Nepal's Kaski district on January 2, 2004. He was held incommunicado for several months. Local journalists believe that his detention was linked to his journalistic work. Pahari maintained close contacts in the Maoist rebel movement, and some sources told CPJ that security forces might have detained him to gather information about the leadership of the insurgency against King Gyanendra.

Pahari was held under an anti-terrorism law that has been used to jail journalists since it was introduced in November 2001. Authorities released and re-arrested him four times after January 2004 in order to comply with that law, which limits detention without trial to six months. In May, he was released from a Kaski jail and arrested before he could leave the compound, local human rights and media advocacy groups reported.

Job:Print Reporter
Beats Covered:Politics, War
Local or Foreign:Local
Type of Death:Dangerous Assignment
Suspected Source of Fire:Government Officials


This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.