Covering events from January - December 2004

Several political activists and dozens of students were arbitrarily arrested and detained briefly. Twelve people arrested in 2003 were released after more than 10 months in detention.


In January, President Lansana Conté was sworn in for another seven-year term after the Supreme Court confirmed the results of the December 2003 presidential elections. The Guinean Human Rights Organization accused the election organizers of serious and massive violations of the law. In February former Minister of External Affairs Louceny Fall replaced Lamine Sidimé as Prime Minister. However, in April he resigned. In a letter sent from the French capital, Paris, he denounced the lack of dialogue between the President and the government. In December, Cellou Dalein Diallo was appointed Prime Minister.

Release of military officers

In October the former commander of the airport security service, Cheick Adelkader Doumbouya, and 11 other prisoners held on suspicion of plotting to overthrow President Lansana Conté were released. They had been held without charge, trial or access to lawyers for almost 10 months. Other prisoners arrested at the time were reportedly still in detention at the end of 2004. During his detention, Cheick Adelkader Doumbouya, who suffers from diabetes and glaucoma, was denied access to medical treatment.

Arrest of opposition members

Kaba Rogui Barry, Ibrahima Capi Camara and Baidy Aribot, all members of the Union of Republican Forces, UFR, were arrested on 29 March and charged with plotting a coup. They were released on probation more than two weeks later. They were not allowed to leave the country. In April, Sidya Touré, former Prime Minister and leader of the UFR, was detained for one day at police headquarters. He was charged with plotting against the authority of the state, along with a high-ranking officer whose whereabouts were unknown at the end of the year.

Arrest of students

In February at least 15 students were arrested in Conakry. They were released without charge or trial a few days later. In September police broke up a student strike which had forced the closure of the campus at an agrarian institute in Faranah. Some of the students were beaten and dozens were arrested. The students in both Conakry and Faranah were protesting against poor living conditions.

This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.