RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Special economic assistance to Chad
1. Expresses its gratitude to the States and governmental and non-governmental organizations which responded and are continuing to respond generously to the appeals of the Government of Chad and of the Secretary-General by furnishing assistance to Chad;
2. Further expresses its appreciation to the Secretary-General for his efforts to make the international community aware of the difficulties of Chad and to mobilize assistance for that country;
3. Appeals to the international community to provide the necessary emergency humanitarian assistance to the people of Chad who have suffered from the war and the drought;
4. Renews the request made to States, appropriate organizations and programmes of the United Nations system and international economic and financial institutions to contribute to the rehabilitation and reconstruction of Chad;
5. Again requests the Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme to give all the necessary assistance to Chad for the preparation and organization of the conference of donors and contributors of funds, in accordance with resolution 38/214;
6. Invites States and governmental and non-governmental organizations to take part in the conference of donors and contributors of funds and to accord particular attention to the projects to be presented there with a view to financing them;
7. Requests the Secretary-General:
(a) To continue his efforts to organize the special programme of economic assistance to Chad;
(b) To monitor, in close collaboration with the humanitarian agencies concerned, the humanitarian needs, particularly in the areas of food and health, of the people displaced by the war and the drought;
(c) To mobilize special humanitarian assistance for persons who have suffered as a result of the war and the drought and for the resettlement of displaced persons;
(d) To keep the situation in Chad under review and to report thereon to the General Assembly at its fortieth session.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.