RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Assistance to Sierra Leone
1. Expresses its appreciation to the Secretary-General for the steps he has taken to mobilize assistance for Sierra Leone;
2. Urgently reiterates its appeal to the international community, including the specialized agencies and other organizations and bodies of the United Nations system, to contribute generously, through bilateral or multilateral channels, to the economic and social development of Sierra Leone;
3. Urges all States and relevant United Nations bodies - in particular the United Nations Development Programme, the World Food Programme, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, the United Nations Children's Fund, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization and the United Nations Fund for Population Activities - to provide all possible assistance to help the Government of Sierra Leone meet the critical humanitarian needs of the population and to provide, as appropriate, food, medicines and essential equipment for hospitals and schools;
4. Invites the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Children's Fund, the World Food Programme, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the World Bank and the International Fund for Agricultural Development to bring to the attention of their governing bodies, for their consideration, the special needs of Sierra Leone and to report the decisions of those bodies to the Secretary-General by 15 July 1985;
5. Appeals to all States and international organizations to participate at a high level in the round-table of partners in development of Sierra Leone to be held early in 1985, and to contribute generously to the programme of action that will be presented by the Government of Sierra Leone;
6. Requests the Secretary-General:
(a) To continue his efforts to mobilize the necessary resources for an effective programme of financial, technical and material assistance to Sierra Leone;
(b) To apprise the Economic and Social Council, at its second regular session of 1985, of the assistance granted to Sierra Leone;
(c) To keep the situation regarding assistance to Sierra Leone under review and to report to the General Assembly at its fortieth session on the implementation of the present resolution.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.