RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Question of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands
1. Notes with satisfaction the observations and recommendations of the United Nations Visiting Mission to Observe the Act of Self-Determination in the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, 1984;
2. Takes note that the people of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands voted by a substantial majority for integration with Australia;
3. Endorses the view of the Visiting Mission that, in so doing, the people of the Territory have exercised their right to self-determination in accordance with the principles of the Charter of the United Nations and the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples, contained in General Assembly resolution 1514 (XV);
4. Considers it appropriate that, in view of the decision of the people of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, the transmission of information in respect of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands under Article 73 e of the Charter should cease;
5. Takes note of the actions taken by the Government of Australia to transfer ownership of land to the Cocos (Keeling) Islands community and to extend relevant legislation to the community so that it may enjoy the same benefits as those available to the Australian community at large, as well as the Government's assurances that the unique cultural identity, heritage and traditions of the Cocos community will be preserved;
6. Expresses its appreciation to the Government of Australia, as the administering Power concerned, and to the Cocos (Keeling) Islands Council for the co-operation extended to the United Nations;
7. Expresses its appreciation to the Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples for the work it has accomplished, in close co-operation with the administering Power, in respect of the Territory.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.