RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Situation of refugees in the Sudan
1. Takes note of the report of the Secretary-General and the recommendations of the inter-agency technical follow-up missions contained therein;
2. Expresses its appreciation to the Secretary-General, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, donor countries and voluntary agencies for their efforts to assist the refugees in the Sudan;
3. Commends the efforts of the High Commissioner and the International Labour Office to create income-generating activities for refugees in the Sudan;
4. Appreciates the measures which the Government of the Sudan is taking to provide shelter, food, education, and health and other services to the refugees;
5. Requests the Secretary-General to mobilize the necessary financial and material assistance for the full implementation of the recommendations of the various inter-agency missions;
6. Appeals to Member States, the appropriate organs, organizations and programmes of the United Nations and other intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations and the international financial institutions to provide the Government of the Sudan with the necessary resources for the implementation of development assistance projects in regions affected by the presence of refugees, as envisaged in the reports of the various inter-agency missions, and to strengthen its social and economic infrastructure so that essential services and facilities for refugees can be strengthened and expanded;
7. Requests the High Commissioner to continue co-ordination with the appropriate specialized agencies in order to consolidate and ensure the continuation of essential services to the refugees in their settlements;
8. Also requests the High Commissioner, in co-operation with the Secretary-General, to submit a comprehensive report to the General Assembly at its thirty-ninth session on the progress made in the implementation of the recommendations of the inter-agency technical follow-up missions as well as on the implementation of the present resolution.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.