34. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE SECOND COMMITTEE
207. Preparations for the special session of the General Assembly in 1980
1. Reaffirms its decision that the special session in 1980 will, on the basis of an assessment of the progress made in the establishment of the new international economic order, take appropriate action for the promotion of the development of developing countries and international economic co-operation, including inter alia for the adoption of the international development strategy for the third United Nations development decade and for the launching of global negotiations relating to international economic co-operation for development;
2. Decides to hold the special session at a high political level for two weeks at a suitable time between mid-August and mid-September 1980;
3. Urges the Preparatory Committee for the New International Development Strategy to accelerate its work so as to be able to submit to the General Assembly, through the Economic and Social Council, a draft of the international development strategy for the third United Nations development decade for adoption and proclamation at the special session;
4. Invites the Committee of the Whole Established under General Assembly resolution 32/174, in its capacity as the preparatory committee for the global negotiations relating to international economic co-operation for development, to organize its work in such a manner as to be able to submit its final report to the Assembly at the special session;
5. Decides that the Committee of the Whole, in addition to making preparations for the global negotiations, should consider matters relating to the adequate preparation of the special session;
6. Invites the Governments of Member States to reexamine, bearing in mind the need to establish the new international economic order, their position on the important international economic problems, so as to enable the General Assembly to achieve positive results at the special session;
7. Requests the Secretary-General to accord the necessary high priority to and to provide the necessary facilities and resources for all preparatory arrangements for the special session;
8. Takes note of the preliminary version of the analytical report called for in General Assembly resolution 33/198 and requests the Secretary-General to submit and make available to Governments six weeks before the special session the final report in accordance with the outline, taking into account the relevant resolutions and decisions adopted by the Assembly during its thirty-fourth session, as well as the ongoing work of the Preparatory Committee for the New International Development Strategy and the Committee of the Whole.109th plenary meeting
19 December 1979
 A/34/542,annex, sect. IV.  See sect. II, resolution 34/138.  A/34/596.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.