33. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE FIRST COMMITTEE*
76. Situation in Nicaragua
1. Censures the repression of the civilian population of Nicaragua and the violation of the sovereignty Costa Rica by Nicaraguan military aircraft;
2. Expresses deep concern over the serious turn by the domestic situation in Nicaragua and over its implications for peace and security in the region;
3. Demands that the Nicaraguan authorities stop Mary and other activities that endanger the security the region, in particular those that threaten the sovereignty and territorial inviolability of neighbouring countries;
4. Urges the Nicaraguan authorities to ensure respect for the human rights of the citizens of Nicaragua, in accordance with their international commitments and the provisions of the Charter of the United Nations;
5. Requests all States to adopt the necessary measures, in accordance with their constitutional procedures, discourage the recruitment and participation of their national as mercenaries in the conflict occurring in Nicaragua;
6. Urges the continuation of international efforts achieve a peaceful settlement of the internal conflict in Nicaragua;
7. Requests the Secretary-General, through the appropriate channels, carefully to follow developments in the situation in Nicaragua and provide the assistance needed to achieve the purposes of the present resolution.85th plenary meeting
15 December 1978
* For the decisions adopted on the reports of the first Committee, See sect. X.B.2. 1 Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-third Session, Plenary Meetings, 11th meeting, paras. 75-126. 2 A/33/275, annex.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.