32. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE FOURTH COMMITTEE
27. Question of Brunei
1. Reaffirms the inalienable right of the people of Brunei to self-determination and independence in accordance with the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples;
2. Approves the chapter of the report of the Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples relating to Brunei;
3. Notes once again that no progress has been achieved so far in the implementation of General Assembly resolutions 3424 (XXX) and 31/56;
4. Calls once more upon all parties concerned to work towards the early implementation of resolutions 3424 (XXX) and 31/56;
5. Calls again upon the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, consistent with its responsibility as the administering Power, to take all steps within its competence to facilitate expeditiously the holding of free and democratic elections by the appropriate government authorities in Brunei, in consultation with and under the supervision of the United Nations, in accordance with the inalienable right of the people of Brunei to self-determination and independence, and further calls, prior to the elections, for the lifting of the ban on all political parties and for the return of all political exiles to Brunei so that they can participate freely and fully in the elections;
6. Notes that the administering Power has so far not participated in the Special Committee's consideration of the Territory;
7. Calls upon the administering Power, in conformity with the provisions of the relevant resolutions of the General Assembly, to extend full co-operation to the Special Committee;
8. Requests the Special Committee to continue to keep the situation in Brunei under review and to report thereon to the General Assembly at its thirty-third session.83rd plenary meeting
28 November 1977
 Ibid., chap. XV.  Ibid., Twenty-ninth Session, Supplement No. 31 (A/9631), p. 117, item 23.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.