32. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE SECOND COMMITTEE*
170. Measures to be taken for the benefit of the Sudano-Sahelian region
1. Stresses the need for the immediate implementation in the Sudano-Sahelian region of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification and of the relevant resolutions adopted by the United Nations Conference on Desertification;
2. Invites the Governing Council of the United Nations Environment Programme to consider at its sixth session, on the basis of a report by the Executive Director of the Programme which will take account of the role and activities of the competent existing organs in the region, measures to improve institutional arrangements in the Sudano-Sahelian region, including the establishment of a subregional office of the Programme for the purpose of supporting efforts undertaken at the national and regional levels by the countries concerned to combat desertification and of encouraging and co-ordinating, in co-operation with competent existing organs, assistance from developed countries, multilateral financial institutions, intergovernmental organizations and non-governmental donors;
3. Further invites the Governing Council to include in its agenda, when it considers the implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification, an item concerning measures and modes of action for implementing projects and programmes to combat desertification in the Sudano-Sahelian region.107th plenary meeting
19 December 1977
 Ibid., chaps. I and II.