32. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE THIRD COMMITTEE
119. Assistance to South African student refugees
1. Endorses the measures taken by the Secretary-General and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees for the mobilization of a programme of assistance to South African student refugees in Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland;
2. Notes with appreciation the generous contributions of the Governments of Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland in providing asylum and making available educational facilities for student refugees;
3. Notes with satisfaction the contributions so far made by Member States and intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations and United Nations agencies;
4. Expresses concern, however, that the total assistance received to date falls short of the needs;
5. Urges all Governments, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations and United Nations agencies to contribute generously towards the assistance programmes for these student refugees, both through financial support and by offering the necessary opportunities for their care and subsistence, education and vocational training;
6. Requests all agencies and programmes of the United Nations system, including in particular the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Trust Fund for South Africa and the United Nations Educational and Training Programme for Southern Africa, to assist the High Commissioner in carrying out the humanitarian task entrusted to him;
7. Requests the Secretary-General and the High Commissioner to strengthen their efforts for the mobilization of emergency financial and other appropriate forms of assistance for these student refugees in Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland and Zambia;
8. Further requests the Secretary-General:
(a) To undertake a similar programme of assistance for South African student refugees in Zambia;
(b) To arrange for a review of the matter in time for it to be considered by the Economic and Social Council at its sixty-fifth session;
(c) To report to the General Assembly at its thirty-third session.105th plenary meeting
16 December 1977
 A/32/65 and Add.1.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.