Question considered by the Security Council at its 1606th, 1607th and 1608th meetings on 4, 5 and 6 December 1971
XXVI. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED WITHOUT REFERENCE TO A MAIN COMMITTEE
2793. Question considered by the Security Council at its 1606th, 1607th and 1608th meetings on 4, 5 and 6 December 1971
1. Calls upon the Governments of India and Pakistan to take forthwith all measures for an immediate cease-fire and withdrawal of their armed forces on the territory of the other to their own side of the India Pakistan borders;
2. Urges that efforts be intensified in order to bring about, speedily and in accordance with the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations, conditions necessary for the voluntary return of the East Pakistan refugees to their homes;
3. Calls for the full co-operation of all States with the Secretary-General for rendering assistance to and relieving the distress of those refugees;
4. Urges that every effort be made to safeguard the lives and well-being of the civilian population in the area of conflict;
5. Requests the Secretary-General to keep the General Assembly and the Security Council promptly and currently informed on the implementation of the present resolution;
6. Decides to follow the question closely and to meet again should the situation so demand;
7. Calls upon the Security Council to take appropriate action in the light of the present resolution.
2003rd plenary meeting,
7 December 1971.
 Official Records of the Security Council, Twenty-sixth Year, Supplement for October November and December 1971, documents S/ 104 10 and Add.1 and S/10412.  Official Records of the General Assembly, Twenty-sixth Session, Annexes, agenda item 102, document A/8555.