XXIV. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE THIRD COMMITTEE
2597. Respect for human rights in armed conflicts
1. Requests the Secretary-General to continue the study initiated under General Assembly resolution 2444 (XXIII), giving special attention to the need for protection of the rights of civilians and combatants in conflicts which arise from the struggles of peoples under colonial and foreign rule for liberation and self-determination and to the better application of existing humanitarian international conventions and rules to such conflicts;
2. Requests the Secretary-General to consult and co-operate closely with the International Committee of the Red Cross in regard to the studies being undertaken by the Committee on this question;
3. Requests Member States to extend all possible assistance to the Secretary-General in the continuation of the study requested in paragraph 1 above;
4. Decides to transmit the report of the Secretary-General to the Commission on Human Rights and to the Economic and Social Council for their comments to be submitted to the General Assembly at its twenty-fifth session;
5. Decides to give the highest priority to this question at its twenty-fifth session;
6. Invites the Secretary-General to submit a further report on this subject to the General Assembly at its twenty-fifth session.1835th plenary meeting,
16 December 1969.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.