XVI. RESOLUTION WITHOUT REFERENCE TO A COMMITTEE
1742. The situation in Angola
1. Expresses its appreciation of the work of the Sub-Committee on the situation in Angola and commends to the Portuguese Government, for urgent consideration and effective implementation, the observations, findings and conclusions set out in the Sub-Committee's report;
2. Solemnly reaffirms the inalienable right of the Angolan people to self-determination and independence;
3. Deeply deprecates the repressive measures and armed action against the people of Angola and the denial to them of human rights and fundamental freedoms, and calls upon the Portuguese authorities to desist forthwith from repressive measures against the people of Angola;
4. Appeals to the Government of Portugal to release immediately all Angolan political prisoners wherever they may be held;
5. Urges the Government of Portugal to undertake, without further delay, extensive political, economic and social reforms and measures, and in particular to set up freely elected and representative political institutions with a view to transfer of power to the people of Angola;
6. Decides to continue the Sub-Committee on the situation in Angola appointed under General Assembly resolution 1603 (XV);
(a) To continue the performance of its tasks;
(b) To study ways and means to secure the implementation of the present resolution and to report thereon to the Security Council and to the General Assembly;
7. Requests Member States to use their influence to secure the compliance of Portugal with the present resolution;
8. Requests all States Members of the United Nations and members of the specialized agencies to deny Portugal any support and assistance which may be used by it for the suppression of the people of Angola;
9. Requests the Government of Portugal to submit a report to the General Assembly at its seventeenth session on the measures it has undertaken in the implementation of the present resolution;
10. Recommends the Security Council, in the light of the Council's resolution of 9 June 1961 and of the present resolution, to keep the matter under constant review.1102nd plenary meeting,
30 January 1962.
 Official Records of the Security Council, Sixteenth Year, Supplement for April, May and June 1961, document S/4835.  Official Records of the General Assembly, Sixteenth Session, Supplement No. 16 (A/4978 and Corr.2).
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.