XII. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE FOURTH COMMITTEE
1182 The future of Togoland under French administration
1. Expresses its appreciation to the United Nations Commission on Togoland under French Administration for its valuable report and draws the attention of the Administering Authority and the Togoland Government to the observations and suggestions contained therein;
2. Notes the statement of the Administering Authority that the Legislative Assembly to be elected by universal adult suffrage in 1958 and the Togoland Government will be asked to formulate, in consultation with the Administering Authority, proposals for the early attainment of the final objective of the Trusteeship System;
3. Accepts, having regard to the responsibilities of the new Legislative Assembly mentioned in the preceding paragraph, the invitation of the Government of Togoland, transmitted by the Administering Authority, to make the necessary arrangements, in consultation with the Administering Authority, for supervision of the elections by the United Nations;
4. Decides to elect a Commissioner who shall supervise the elections to the Legislative Assembly and who shall be assisted by observers and staff to be appointed by the Secretary-General in consultation with him;
5. Requests the Administering Authority and the Government of Togoland to make, in consultation with the United Nations Commissioner, the arrangements for the organization and conduct of the elections to the Legislative Assembly;
6. Requests the Commissioner to submit to the Trusteeship Council, for its consideration, and for transmission to the General Assembly at its thirteenth session, a report on the organization, conduct and results of the elections;
7. Invites the Administering Authority to inform the Trusteeship Council concerning the carrying out of the above-mentioned transfer of powers, the results of the elections, the convening of the new Togoland Legislative Assembly, and regarding any wishes which may have been expressed by the Legislative Assembly concerning the new Statute and the termination of the Trusteeship Agreement for the Territory of Togoland under French Administration;
8. Requests the Trusteeship Council to consider these matters and report thereon to the General Assembly at its thirteenth session, so as to enable it, if so requested by the new Togoland Legislative Assembly and the Administering Authority, to reach a decision, in the light of the circumstances then prevailing, concerning the termination of the Trusteeship Agreement in accordance with Article 76 b of the Charter of the United Nations.724th plenary meeting,
29 November 1957. The General Assembly, at its 730th plenary meeting on 14 December 1957, elected by secret ballot Mr. Max Dorsinville (Haiti) to the office of United Nations Commissioner for the elections in the Trust Territory of Togoland under French administration.
 Ibid., agenda item 37, document A/3676.  Official Records of the Trusteeship Council, Seventh Special Session, Supplement No. 2 (T/1343), documents T/1336 and Add.1 and 2.  Ibid., Seventh Special Session, 841st to 847th meetings.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.