UN Economic and Social Council Resolution 1980/10: Situation of refugees in the Sudan
1980/10. Situation of refugees in the Sudan
28 April 1980
1. Expresses its appreciation to the Government of the Sudan for its efforts to accommodate a growing number of refugees on its territory;
2. Expresses also its appreciation to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and his staff for the dedicated and efficient manner in which they continue to work, with the support of the international community, to accomplish their humanitarian task for refugees in the Sudan;
3. Calls attention to the urgent need for increased resources to care for the growing number of refugees in the Sudan;
4. Takes note of the decision of the Government of the Sudan to convene an international conference on refugees in the Sudan at Khartoum, on 20 June 1980, to coincide with the Day of Refugees in Africa;
5. Appeals to all Governments to render the maximum possible financial and material assistance to the refugees in the Sudan;
6. Requests the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, in co-operation with the Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme, the World Food Programme, the United Nations Children's Fund, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization and other relevant specialized agencies, as well as non-governmental organizations, to render the maximum possible assistance to the Government of the Sudan;
7. Appeals to the donor countries and international organizations and voluntary agencies to participate in the International Conference on Refugees in the Sudan at a high level, to ensure the success of the Conference in mobilizing international support and additional resources to alleviate the plight of the refugees in the Sudan;
8. Requests the Secretary-General, in co-operation with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, to send an interagency mission to the Sudan to assess the needs and the magnitude of assistance required for the financing of the programmes for the relief and settlement of refugees, and to report to the Economic and Social Council on this matter at its first regular session in 1981.14th plenary meeting
28 April 198
 Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-fourth Session, Supplement No. 12A (A/34/12/Add.1), para. 24.
This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.