Taliban continue deadly attacks across Afghanistan

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 22 June 2018
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Taliban continue deadly attacks across Afghanistan, 22 June 2018, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5bc04f8ea.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

June 22, 2018 16:45 GMT

Taliban fightersTaliban fighters

Eighteen Afghan security personnel and two civilians were killed in a series of Taliban attacks on checkpoints in the Badghis and Kandahar provinces, officials say.

The attacks were carried out by Taliban militants early on June 22, the officials said.

At least 14 soldiers and two civilians were killed in attacks in Badghis Province, provincial council members told local media.

In Kandahar Province, four police officers were killed while attempting to secure the release of 33 construction workers who were being held by Taliban militants.

The June 22 attacks seemed to be part of a larger offensive begun two days ago in which 87 Afghan security personnel have been reported killed across several provinces.

Government forces and the Taliban suspended fighting for three days late last week to mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan. The government then extended the cease-fire, but the Taliban refused to reciprocate and instead began ramping up attacks on June 17.

Based on reporting by dpa, Reuters, and AP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries