At least 13 Afghan troops killed in Taliban attacks
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 13 April 2018 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, At least 13 Afghan troops killed in Taliban attacks, 13 April 2018, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5b20ddc04.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
April 13, 2018 09:30 GMT
An Afghan security forces member walks through the site of a bomb explosion in Shindand district of Herat Province on April 10.
At least 13 Afghan security forces have been killed in suspected Taliban attacks in western Herat Province, officials say.
Ten police were killed and four wounded in the Shindad district, where fighting with the militants lasted for hours, Shukrullah Shaker, the district governor, said on April 13.
An unspecified number of militants were also killed, according to Shaker.
He blamed the Taliban for the attack, although no militant group has so far claimed responsibility.
Also overnight, suspected Taliban militants attacked several police posts in eastern Paktia Province, leaving at least three police dead, according to Gul Agha Roohani, the province's police chief.
Zabihullah Mujahid, the spokesman for the Taliban, claimed responsibility for the attack in Paktia in a text message sent to the media.
The violence comes a day after the UN said more than 700 civilians had been killed and nearly 1,500 wounded in Afghanistan in the first three months of 2018.
"Afghan civilians continue to suffer, caught in the conflict, in ways that are preventable; this must stop now," said Ingrid Hayden, the UN secretary-general's deputy special representative for Afghanistan.
Based on reporting by AP and Reuters
Link to original story on RFE/RL website