Reports: Iranian police say four IS-linked suspects killed in south

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 12 June 2017
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Reports: Iranian police say four IS-linked suspects killed in south, 12 June 2017, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/59818dddc.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

June 12, 2017 11:22 GMT

Iranian media are reporting that police have killed four gunmen linked to the extremist group Islamic State (IS).

Azizollah Maleki, the police chief in the southern province of Hormozgan, was quoted as saying on June 12 that his forces killed the "armed terrorists" the day before in a shoot-out near the southern town of Roudan.

Maleki said that an IS flag and four machine guns, bullets, and some explosives were seized during the operation. He added that two of those killed were foreigners.

Iran's authorities have said five men involved in deadly attacks in Tehran last week were Iranians who joined the IS group in Iraq and Syria.

They also said that the mastermind behind the June 7 attacks on Iran's parliament and the tomb of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini had been killed by security forces, while dozens of suspects were detained in connection with the assaults.

Based on reporting by Press TV, AP, Reuters, and AFP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld