Protest continues into third day in Armenia over activist death
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 18 March 2017 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Protest continues into third day in Armenia over activist death, 18 March 2017, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5975a67713.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
March 18, 2017
A protester holds a picture of Artur Sarkisian at a rally in Yerevan on March 17.
Several hundred people gathered for the third day in Armenia's capital, Yerevan, to demand a full investigation into the recent death of activist Artur Sarkisian.
Sarkisian, 49, passed away on March 16 just days after being released from prison following a 25-day hunger strike.
One of the doctors who treated the activist said he died of heart failure after being moved to a hospital for emergency surgery.
Investigators said they have opened a criminal case into his death.
The autopsy was planned for March 18, but it was reportedly postponed at the request of Sarkisian's family.
Sarkisian was in prison on charges of aiding opposition gunmen last summer.
He had been accused of delivering food to armed members of a radical opposition group during their two-week standoff with security forces.
Link to original story on RFE/RL website