Syria: UN says Aleppo rebels approved aid plan; Damascus yet to agree

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 24 November 2016
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Syria: UN says Aleppo rebels approved aid plan; Damascus yet to agree, 24 November 2016, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5975a28dc.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

November 24, 2016

People ride a cart pulled by a horse near the damaged Hakim hospital, in the rebel-held besieged area of Aleppo.People ride a cart pulled by a horse near the damaged Hakim hospital, in the rebel-held besieged area of Aleppo.

Syrian rebels in besieged east Aleppo have agreed to a UN plan for aid delivery and medical evacuations, humanitarian adviser Jan Egeland has said.

Egeland said on November 24 that the UN had also got "verbal support" from Russia, a main ally of the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, for the four-point plan reached earlier this month on Aleppo.

Egeland added that the United Nations was still waiting for approval from the Syrian government.

Hundreds of trucks are ready in Turkey and government-controlled west Aleppo to bring aid to the eastern part of the city, he said.

Hundreds of wounded are awaiting evacuation for treatment under the plan, Egeland told reporters in Geneva.

Some 275,000 people are trapped in east Aleppo, where the last UN food rations were distributed on November 13.

Based on reporting by AP and AFP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld