Emergency aid expected in Syria as cease-fire holds

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 14 September 2016
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Emergency aid expected in Syria as cease-fire holds, 14 September 2016, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/58189d92c.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

September 14, 2016

Emergency aid deliveries to Syria are expected to start on September 14 as a cease-fire appears to be largely holding.

The United Nations envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, said on September 13 that there had been a "significant drop in violence" in the 24 hours since a cessation of hostilities came into effect at sunset on September 12.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported only minor violations by both government and rebel forces in different parts of the country, but no deaths.

De Mistura said UN aid access should be possible "very soon," including to Aleppo, where around 250,000 people remain under siege.

He said the UN was waiting for the Syrian government to authorize the deliveries.

Two aid convoys, each of around 20 trucks, are waiting to cross into northern Syria from the Turkish border town of Cilvegozu, around 40 kilometers from Aleppo.

The Syrian government has said it would reject any aid deliveries to Aleppo not coordinated through Damascus and the UN, particularly from Turkey.

Based on reporting by Reuters and AFP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld