Afghan Taliban seizes control of southern district

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 30 July 2016
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Afghan Taliban seizes control of southern district, 30 July 2016, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/57db99924.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

July 30, 2016

An Afghan official says the Taliban has seized control of a strategic district in the poppy-growing province of Helmand, although the governor's office said there was ongoing fighting between militants and Afghan forces.

Abdul Majeed Akhonzada, deputy director of the provincial council, told the Associated Press that the Kanashin district had "fallen into Taliban hands."

Akhonzada said the Taliban's seizure of the district, which borders Pakistan, means the militants "control of 60 percent of Helmand."

Much of the Marjah, Sangin, Garmser, and Dishu districts had already fallen to the Taliban.

Omar Zwak, the spokesman for the governor of Helmand province, said on July 30 that the clashes were continue between Afghan troops and Taliban militants in parts of the district.

Zwak said 20 militants and one Afghan policemen were killed after dozens of Taliban fighters launched an attack on July 29 in the Kanashin district.

Based on reporting by AP and Tolo News

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries