Prominent Iranian sculptor accused of 'disturbing public peace'
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 11 July 2016 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Prominent Iranian sculptor accused of 'disturbing public peace', 11 July 2016, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/57a43c6210.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
July 11, 2016
Prominent Iranian sculptor Parviz Tanavoli, who was recently banned from leaving the country, says he's been accused by the police of "disturbing public peace" and "spreading lies."
Tanavoli spoke to the semiofficial ILNA news agency after visiting Iran's special court for culture and media.
"They told me my sculptures are examples of disturbing the public peace and spreading lies," Tanavoli said on July 10.
There has been no comment from the police.
The authorities confiscated Tanavoli's passport last week and prevented him from flying to London for the launch of his new book, "European Women in Persian Houses."
"I have worked for 50 years and so far none of my works have had any problems," Tanavoli said.
He added that the accusations came after his works had been on display at several venues around Tehran.
Tanavoli is one of Iran's best known living artists. His art has been displayed in museums worldwide.
Based on reporting by ILNA and AFP
Link to original story on RFE/RL website