UN aid chief describes 'catastrophic deterioration' of Syrian cease-fire

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 28 April 2016
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, UN aid chief describes 'catastrophic deterioration' of Syrian cease-fire, 28 April 2016, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/576900732c.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

Last updated (GMT/UTC): 28.04.2016 12:17

The latest deaths have raised to at least 133 the number of civilians killed by fighting in Aleppo since April 22. (file photo)The latest deaths have raised to at least 133 the number of civilians killed by fighting in Aleppo since April 22. (file photo)

Jan Egeland, the head of the UN humanitarian task force on Syria, said on April 28 that there had been a "catastrophic deterioration" of the situation in Aleppo and parts of Homs during the previous 48 hours.

Speaking after air strikes on rebel-held parts of Aleppo hit a hospital and other buildings, killing more than 60 civilians, Egeland said nobody doubts the severity of the situation.

Egeland said he "cannot express how high the stakes are for the next hours and days" as diplomats try to restore a fragile cease-fire deal that is in tatters.

The French aid group Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said at least 14 patients and six medical workers were among at least 30 people killed by an air strike that destroyed Aleppo's Al-Qudos hospital late on April 27.

Syria's Army on April 28 denied that it intentionally targeted the hospital.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said another air strike on April 28 killed 20 more people in the rebel-held neighborhood.

The latest deaths have raised to more than 150 the number of civilians killed in Aleppo since April 22 by fighting between rebels and the Russian-backed forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and rebels.

Based on reporting by Reuters, AP, AFP, and dpa

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Topics