IS militants abduct 400 civilians in eastern Syria, monitor says
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 17 January 2016 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, IS militants abduct 400 civilians in eastern Syria, monitor says, 17 January 2016, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/56c429126.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
January 17, 2016
The Islamic State (IS) extremist group has abducted at least 400 people, including women and children, after capturing new territory in eastern Syria, a monitoring group said on January 17.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the militants had moved the captives from the government-controlled village of al-Baghaliyeh, on the northern edge of Deir al-Zour city, after a major attack on the area on January 16.
Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said family members of pro-government fighters were among those abducted.
"We fear that the 400 will be executed or enslaved by the organization on the pretext that they are loyal to the regime," Rahman told the dpa news agency.
Syria's state news agency SANA said earlier that at least 300 people had been killed by IS fighters in the attacks in Deir al-Zour.
SANA said most of those killed in the January 16 attacks were elderly people, women, and children.
Opposition activists said many of the victims were Syrian soldiers and pro-government militiamen and their families.
IS militants control most of Deir al-Zour province and its capital city of the same name.
Based on reporting by Reuters, dpa, AP, and AFP
Link to original story on RFE/RL website