Afghanistan: Taliban claims bomb blast in Kabul
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 4 January 2016 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Afghanistan: Taliban claims bomb blast in Kabul, 4 January 2016, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/56c428a8c.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
January 04, 2016
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for a bomb attack on a compound for civilian contractors near Kabul airport.
The attack came just hours after a suicide bomber blew himself up near a police checkpoint near the airport.
The Afghan Health Ministry said at least one Afghan civilian was killed and 30 others civilians, including nine children, injured.
The target of the attack was Camp Baron, a heavily protected residential compound for civilian technical contractors close to the city's main airport.
Police said a truck packed with explosives drove up to the armored gates of the complex before being detonated.
The Pentagon said the attack wounded several people, but did not cause any military casualties.
Earlier in the day, a suicide bomber struck a street leading to Kabul airport, but no casualties were reported besides the attacker.
Based on reporting by AFP, dpa, and Reuters
Link to original story on RFE/RL website