Iraqi Kurdish official: Paris attacks should be wake-up call to West

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 18 November 2015
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Iraqi Kurdish official: Paris attacks should be wake-up call to West, 18 November 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/56813d286.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

November 18, 2015

The head of intelligence and security in Iraq's Kurdish autonomous region says he hopes last week's terror attacks in Paris will spur Western powers to become more engaged in fighting the Islamic State (IS) extremist group.

Masrour Barzani told the BBC that despite setbacks, IS militants have not been significantly weakened.

He expressed hope that the November 13 attacks in Paris, in which 129 people were killed, will act as a wake-up call, saying that IS fighters could be defeated within months if Western powers became fully involved.

"They might be losing some ground here and there, but to terrorize of course they are using different methods," he said. "They might try to do more of this if they are not stopped and they are not kept under pressure."

The IS group, which controls large swaths of Iraqi and Syrian territory, claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks.

Based on reporting by the BBC

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries

Topics