Bodies of beheaded Afghans being taken home for burial

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 12 November 2015
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Bodies of beheaded Afghans being taken home for burial, 12 November 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/56813d0c12.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

November 12, 2015

A protest leader in Kabul says seven beheaded members of Afghanistan's Hazara minority are being taken to their hometown in Ghazni Province for burial.

Protest organizer Lilia Mohammadi says the bodies of the four men, two women, and a child were being sent from Kabul to Ghazni Province on November 12.

Mohammadi helped organize a protest on November 11 in Kabul, where thousands of demonstrators carried the green-draped coffins of the seven victims to Afghanistan's presidential palace and called for better security across the country.

Organizers met with government leaders late on November 11 to press their demands.

The seven dead had been kidnapped six months earlier and were found beheaded in Zabul Province on November 7 – killed by Islamist extremists that the Afghan government has referred to as "nonlocal terrorists."

Based on reporting by Reuters, AP, AFP, and BBC

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries

Topics