Al-Qaeda affiliate in Syria claims capture of U.S.-trained rebels

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 31 July 2015
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Al-Qaeda affiliate in Syria claims capture of U.S.-trained rebels, 31 July 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/55ee964523.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

July 31, 2015

Al-Qaeda's affiliate in Syria, the Nusra Front, claimed on July 31 that it had captured a number of Syrian rebels trained by the United States.

In an online statement, the militant group accused Washington of recruiting "forces from what it calls 'the moderate opposition'... to undergo a training and rehabilitation program run by the CIA."

Earlier this week, the British-based monitoring group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said rebel commander Nadim al-Hassan, whose fighting unit is known as Division 30, was kidnapped along with a number of his forces by the Nusra Front in the northern province of Aleppo late on July 29.

The Pentagon, however, said on July 30 that no members of the group of U.S. trainees, dubbed the New Syrian Force had been captured or detained.

In May, the U.S. military said it had begun training a small group of Syrian rebels in an effort to build a force capable of defeating the Islamic State extremist group that controls parts of Syria and Iraq.

Based on reporting by Reuters and AFP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld