Dozens injured in Afghan mosque blast

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 13 July 2015
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Dozens injured in Afghan mosque blast, 13 July 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/55b5f47e6.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

July 13, 2015

More than two dozen people were injured when a bomb exploded inside a mosque compound in northern Afghanistan on the evening of July 13.

Jawed Basharat, spokesman for the provincial police, said that worshippers were waiting for food deliveries to break their Ramadan fast after finishing prayers when the bomb went off in the city of Puli Khumri, capital of Baghlan Province.

Provincial police chief Abdul Jabar Purdeli told AFP that the explosives had been placed inside the mosque compound.

No group has claimed responsibility for the explosion.

Meanwhile, two improved explosive devices (IEDs) went off in Kabul in back-to-back blasts. No one was injured as a result of the explosions.

The violence comes after a July 12 suicide car bombing close to a U.S. base in southeastern Afghanistan killed 33 people.

Based on reporting by AP and AFP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries

Topics