Afghan parliament 'hero' arrested after fatal traffic accident
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 3 July 2015 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Afghan parliament 'hero' arrested after fatal traffic accident, 3 July 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/55b5f44ef0.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
July 03, 2015
An Afghan soldier who was hailed as a hero for killing militants who tried to storm parliament last month has been arrested after a fatal traffic accident in Kabul.
Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told Reuters on July 2 that Sergeant Essa Khan was "involved in an unfortunate traffic accident in which one civilian lost his life."
"Police are investigating the case and Essa Khan is in police custody," he said.
Independent Kabul journalist Mustafa Kazemi reported on Twitter that Khan was detained by police for hitting a man in a Toyota pickup given to him by Vice President General Abdul Rashid Dostum after the parliament attack.
The 28-year-old catapulted to fame and was proclaimed a national hero after single-handedly killing six of seven militants in the June 22 attack.
President Ashraf Ghani awarded Khan with a new home, among the grateful gestures he received from Afghan leaders and the public.
Based on reporting by Reuters and Mustafa Kazemi at scoopnest.com
Link to original story on RFE/RL website