PM: 40 foreign suicide bombers a month enter Iraq
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 15 June 2015 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, PM: 40 foreign suicide bombers a month enter Iraq, 15 June 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/558bc51543.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
June 15, 2015
Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi on June 2 in Paris
Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi said on June 15 that about 40 foreign suicide bombers enter Iraq each month, and called for countries in the region to curb the flow of foreign fighters.
Suicide bombers are one of the deadliest weapons of the Islamic State (IS) militant group, which deploys them in explosives-packed vehicles to breach Iraqi defenses or cause mass civilian casualties in crowded areas.
Abadi, in televised remarks, also said that the number of foreign fighters in Iraq is now higher than the number of Iraqi militants.
He said there are suicide bombers "from every country" in the region, adding, "That is a problem to be addressed by these countries."
IS launched an offensive last year in June that overran large parts of Iraq, including swaths of its border with Syria where the group also holds significant territory, making it easy for fighters to enter the country.
Based on reporting by AFP and Reuters
Link to original story on RFE/RL website