Several killed in Afghan gun attack

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 13 May 2015
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Several killed in Afghan gun attack, 13 May 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5565baa031.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

May 13, 2015

Afghan police say gunmen opened fire on a gathering of Muslim clerics in the southern province of Helmand on May 13, killing seven people.

The Ulemma Council, the highest religious authority in Afghanistan, had repeatedly announced its support for security forces fighting Taliban insurgents.

Police official Jan Aqa said two Taliban gunment attacked the ongoing meeting of the council in Helmand's provincial capital of Lashkar Gah.

Four civilians and three police were killed and seven people wounded in the attack.

Afghan forces rushed to the scene and killed the two gunmen in an ensuing three-hour gun battle, security officials said.

The Taliban have stepped up attacks in the country after most foreign forces pulled out at the end of last year.

Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, a Taliban spokesman, claimed responsibility for the attack and said 15 officials were killed. The insurgents often exaggerate the number of casualties they inflict.

Helmand province has been the scene of number of deadly attacks by the Taliban.

Based on reporting by Reuters and dpa

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries