Iraq: IS group claims twin Baghdad blasts
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 3 May 2015 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Iraq: IS group claims twin Baghdad blasts, 3 May 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5565ba6d3a.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
May 03, 2015
The extremist Islamic State (IS) group has claimed responsibility for twin bomb attacks in Baghdad that killed at least 19 people.
The two car bombs went off about 10 minutes apart late on May 2 in the busy commercial area of Karrada in the heart of Baghdad.
The blasts struck near restaurants and coffee shops filled with customers, police officials said.
Police said the dead and wounded were mainly shoppers and people commemorating the death of Imam Ali, a key figure in Shi'ite Islam.
The extremist group said on May 3 it was targeting a Shi'ite militia as a response to fighting in the western Anbar Province, where Iraqi troops and paramilitary forces began an offensive last month to recapture the Sunni heartland from the militants.
Based on reporting by AP and Aljazeera.com
Link to original story on RFE/RL website