Interpol 'reviewing' rape case against Ukrainian lawmaker
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 25 March 2015 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Interpol 'reviewing' rape case against Ukrainian lawmaker, 25 March 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/552f9d9b34.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
March 25, 2015
By RFE/RL
Interpol says it is looking into rape accusations against Mykola Knyazhytskiy, a Ukrainian lawmaker whose name was placed on its wanted list earlier this week.
The international police organization had issued a so-called red notice about Knyazhytskiy at the behest of Cambodian authorities, who accuse him of raping a minor in Phnom Penh on September 9, 2011.
Interpol told RFE/RL that the notice, which was taken down from its website on March 24, "has been removed until this review is completed."
Knyazhytskiy, a former chairman of the editorial boards of the Espreso TV and TVi television channels, denies the accusations.
His press service says he appeared in a live television show in Kyiv on the day of the alleged rape.
Knyazhytskiy has suggested that Konstantin Kagalovsky, a Russian businessman with whom he has clashed over the ownership of TVi, could be behind the accusations.
Ukrainian authorities say the request to place Knyazhytskiy on Interpol's wanted list emerged after high-ranking Cambodian officials visited Moscow.
Link to original story on RFE/RL website