Two die in abandoned Kazakh gold mine
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 10 March 2015 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Two die in abandoned Kazakh gold mine, 10 March 2015, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/552f9d4538.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
March 10, 2015
By RFE/RL's Kazakh Service
ASTANA – Two Kazakh men have died in an accident in an abandoned gold mine in the northern Aqmola region while searching for gold.
The regional department for emergency situations said on March 10 that the two were killed when the mine shaft collapsed on March 8. The emergency services said three other people were rescued from the mine.rescued.
People in poor rural areas of Central Asia often search for gold and other resources in abandoned mines.
Last month, three men died in Kyrgyzstan after they were poisoned by trapped gases in an abandoned gold mine in southern Jalal-Abad region while looking for gold.
Link to original story on RFE/RL website
Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036