Romania to send 450 more troops to Afghanistan

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 21 December 2014
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Romania to send 450 more troops to Afghanistan, 21 December 2014, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/54be132fd.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

December 21, 2014

By RFE/RL

Outgoing President Traian Basescu says Romania has committed an extra 450 troops to Afghanistan starting next year in addition to the previously announced 200 military instructors and trainers.

Basescu said December 20 that Romania's Supreme Council of National Defense has approved the deployment of additional soldiers, who will be tasked with guarding the Kandahar airport and military base in southern Afghanistan.

Romania had initially committed some 200 troops to participate in the "Resolute Support" mission which will train Afghan forces beyond 2014.

Basescu, speaking in Bucharest at his final news conference before leaving office on December 21, said the decision was made after a request from Romania's allies.

The 13-year NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission ends this month, but some 12,500 foreign soldiers – mostly from the United States – will remain in the country in 2015 in a supporting role.

At its peak in 2010, Romania's contingent in Afghanistan numbered 1,600 troops. Romania lost 76 soldiers in Afghanistan, including 20 killed in action.

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries