Iran says modifying Arak reactor to ease Western concerns
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 27 August 2014 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Iran says modifying Arak reactor to ease Western concerns, 27 August 2014, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/542ac6a8a.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
August 27, 2014
Western governments fear that the Arak reactor could potentially provide Iran with weapons-grade plutonium.
Iranian media say Tehran has started to modify its Arak heavy water reactor and limit plutonium output to allay Western concerns that the Islamic republic could be seeking nuclear weapons capability.
The ISNA news agency on August 27 quoted Ali Akbar Salehi, the head of Iran's nuclear program, as saying modification of the Arak reactor is "in the process of being carried out" to ease the "worries of certain countries."
Western governments fear that the reactor could potentially provide Iran with weapons-grade plutonium.
Earlier this year, Iran pledged to modify the reactor to produce 1 kilogram of plutonium a year instead of 8 kilograms as originally planned.
Under an interim nuclear deal with world powers, Iran has agreed to scale back its nuclear program in return for a partial lifting of Western sanctions.
Based on reporting by AFP and ISNA
Link to original story on RFE/RL website