Iraq's Kurds say will boycott cabinet meetings
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 10 July 2014 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Iraq's Kurds say will boycott cabinet meetings, 10 July 2014, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/53ce30c35.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
July 10, 2014
Iraqi Kurdish politicians say they will stay away from cabinet meetings in protest at comments by Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, who accused the Kurdish autonomous region of harboring militants fighting his government.
Deputy Prime Minister Roz Nuri Shawez, the highest level Kurdish official in the government, told reporters on July 10 that "such comments are meant to hide the big security fiasco by blaming others."
A statement from the office of Kurdish regional leader Masud Barzani earlier on July 10 said al-Maliki has "become hysterical."
It accused the prime minister of "destroying the country" and demanded that he step down.
Sunni militants, including from the Islamic State, formerly known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have overrun much of northwestern Iraq.
Political tensions have risen between Maliki and Barzani as efforts to form a new parliament collapsed last week.
Based on reporting by AP and AFP
Link to original story on RFE/RL website