Ukraine: Klitschko says won't disperse Maidan
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 1 June 2014 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Ukraine: Klitschko says won't disperse Maidan, 1 June 2014, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/53a13a9ea.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
June 01, 2014
Vitali Klitschko talks with protesters on Independence Square (file photo)
Kyiv's Mayor-elect Vitali Klitschko has told demonstrators gathered on the city's Independence Square that he will not use force to disperse their protest camp when he takes office.
Media reports say Klitschko addressed a crowd of a few thousand people gathered on Independence Square on June 1.
Three months of Maidan protests drove pro-Russia President Viktor Yanukovych to flee Ukraine in February.
Much of the protest encampment remained even after a pro-Western government took office, with holdout demonstrators calling for the Maidan to continue until the new government implements important reforms.
Klitschko had earlier called on demonstrators to fold their tents and go home.
Ukrainian media reports said the crowd on June 1 booed Klitschko, cheering only when he said early parliamentary elections were needed.
Based on reporting by UNIAN and pravda.com.ua
Link to original story on RFE/RL website