Tajik army admits conscript beaten to death
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 20 May 2014 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Tajik army admits conscript beaten to death, 20 May 2014, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/53a13a3aa.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
May 20, 2014
By RFE/RL's Tajik Service
The Tajik Army is now admitting that a young conscript who died last month in northern Khujand Province was beaten to death.
Zafar Nizomov, an investigator at the military prosecutor's office in Khujand, told RFE/RL on May 20 that Sergeant Farruh Davlatov has been charged with abuse of power in connection with the death of Private Akmal Davlatov. The two men are not related.
Military officials had said earlier that Davlatov died after choking on his food.
The report comes a day after another Tajik military conscript, a victim of hazing, returned home after undergoing surgery and three weeks of medical treatment in Moscow.
Shahbol Mirzoev suffered severe spinal injuries and became paralyzed as the result of bullying in March.
Human rights organizations in Tajikistan have criticized the government for not doing enough to stop hazing in the military.
Link to original story on RFE/RL website