Mass hunger strike under way in western Georgian prison

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 7 February 2014
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Mass hunger strike under way in western Georgian prison, 7 February 2014, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/53314520a.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

February 07, 2014

Some 1,000 inmates in a penitentiary in Georgia's western Imereti Province have launched a hunger strike, protesting what they call abusive prison conditions.

Georgia's minister of correctional institutions, Sozar Subari, said the hunger strike, which started on February 7, was initiated by criminal bosses serving their terms in the Geguti penitentiary near the regional capital, Kutaisi.

Subaru told journalists that he had been informed about the preparations for the hunger strike and had spoken with Georgian Ombudsman Ucha Nanuashvili about the issue.

According to Subari, recent reforms have affected the special privileges often accorded criminal bosses in penitentiaries.

He said the inmates are trying to reverse the reforms by organizing such protests.

Hundreds of relatives of the striking inmates gathered in front of the Geguti prison on February 7, demanding a meeting with the penitentiary's administration.

Based on reporting by apsny.ge and Interfax

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries