Russia: Rights groups criticize Moscow's ban on U.S. journalist

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 16 January 2014
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Russia: Rights groups criticize Moscow's ban on U.S. journalist, 16 January 2014, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5331441914.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

January 16, 2014

By RFE/RL

American journalist David SatterAmerican journalist David Satter

Rights organizations have been criticizing Russia's banning of a U.S. journalist from the country for five years.

Reporters Without Borders said on January 16 that it was "shocked" by Moscow's decision to ban David Satter for overstaying his visa "especially as the offense seems to have been the result of the foreign ministry's own delay" in giving him a new document.

The Committee to Protect Journalists called the ban "a menacing omen for the thousands of foreign journalists due to attend the Games" in Sochi.

The Russian rights organization Memorial told the Russian Foreign Ministry that "the decision on the ban on entry is absolutely inconsistent with the minor and apparently unintentional administrative violation of which [Satter] is accused."

Satter had been working in Russia since September 2013 as an adviser to RFE/RL's Russian Service.

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld