EU says Iran talks halted but to resume 'soon'
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 13 December 2013 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, EU says Iran talks halted but to resume 'soon', 13 December 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/52e659e214.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
December 13, 2013
Iranian Ambassador to the IAEA Reza Najafi (left) and Tero Varjoranta, IAEA deputy director general and head of the Department of Safeguards, talk to journalists prior to a meeting in Vienna on December 11.
The European Union says talks in Vienna on implementing last month's Iran nuclear deal have been interrupted after four days for further consultations but are expected to resume "soon."
Michael Mann, a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, said on December 13 that "after four days of lengthy and detailed talks, reflecting the complexity of the technical issues discussed, it became clear that further work is needed."
Iran also confirmed that the talks between Iran and the P5+1 group of nations were halted in order to seek consultations in Tehran.
The P5+1 group includes Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States, plus Germany.
The interruption comes after Washington announced December 12 it was blacklisting a dozen companies and individuals for evading U.S. sanctions against Tehran.
Meanwhile, the chairman of the United Nations Security Council's Iran sanctions committee, Australia's UN Ambassador Gary Quinlan, has urged UN member states to continue enforcing sanctions imposed on Iran over its nuclear program.
Based on reporting by IRNA, Reuters, and AFP
Link to original story on RFE/RL website