Man who attacked U.S. embassy in Bosnia says sorry

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 14 November 2013
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Man who attacked U.S. embassy in Bosnia says sorry, 14 November 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/528b691224.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

November 14, 2013

Mevlid Jasarevic fired at the U.S. Embassy in Sarajevo with an AK-47 rifle for more than 40 minutesMevlid Jasarevic fired at the U.S. Embassy in Sarajevo with an AK-47 rifle for more than 40 minutes

A man being retried for attacking the U.S. Embassy in Sarajevo in 2011 has apologized for what he now calls his "stupid act."

Mevlid Jasarevic seriously wounded a police officer when he fired at the embassy for more than 40 minutes using an automatic rifle.

On November 13, he told the court in Sarajevo that he had been manipulated and then abandoned by his radical Islamist mentors.

Jasarevic was found guilty of terrorism and sentenced to 18 years in prison by Bosnia's state court in December 2012.

The verdict was revoked on appeal in July and a new trial ordered after judges said the original trial was flawed.

Defense lawyers had argued they did not have access to witness testimony and evidence.

The court will give its verdict on November 20.

Based on reporting by Reuters and AFP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld