Syria: Deadly explosion hits Damascus suburb
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 19 October 2013 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Syria: Deadly explosion hits Damascus suburb, 19 October 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/528b677814.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
October 19, 2013
Syrian activists say a suicide car bomb attack at an army checkpoint near the capital, Damascus, has killed at least 16 soldiers.
Syria's state-run media confirmed that a powerful explosion occurred in the Jaramana neighborhood on October 19, and said it caused casualties.
However, it did not give casualty figures, and blamed the attack on "terrorists."
The Britain-based Observatory for Human Rights said rebels from the Al-Qaeda-linked Jabhat al-Nusra carried out the attack while trying to capture the checkpoint between Jaramana and the rebel-held town of Mleiha.
The group reported heavy fighting between government troops and the rebels after the blast.
Jaramana, a predominantly Christian area, is mostly loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.
Rebels have previously targeted Jaramana with bombings and mortar rounds.
Based on reporting by AFP, AP, and dpa
Link to original story on RFE/RL website