Kyrgyzstan: 3 charged with terrorism offenses in Osh

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 16 September 2013
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Kyrgyzstan: 3 charged with terrorism offenses in Osh, 16 September 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/525e3f8c14.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

September 16, 2013

Three men have been arrested in Kyrgyzstan's southern region of Osh on terrorism-related charges.

Kyrgyzstan's State Committee for National Security (UKMK) said on September 16 that the men – a Kazakh national and two Kyrgyz citizens – had arrived in Osh from Syria, where they had fought alongside rebel forces against Syrian government troops.

UKMK officials said the trio was apprehended as a result of antiterrorist operations conducted between late August and a summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization last week.

Officials allege the three had been sent from Syria by an organization called the Union of Islamic Jihad with instructions to conduct a series of terrorist acts in Kyrgyzstan.

No more details have been revealed by UKMK.

Based on reporting by KyrTAG and ITAR-TASS

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries

Topics