Syrian arms depot blast kills 40
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 1 August 2013 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Syrian arms depot blast kills 40, 1 August 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/520894ec14.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
Last updated (GMT/UTC): 01.08.2013 15:49
An image grab taken from a video uploaded on YouTube appears to show the explosion at the Homs ammo depot.
A monitoring group says at least 40 people have been killed and dozens injured in an ammunitions depot blast in a government-held area of Homs in central Syria apparently sparked by rebel rocket fire.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said rocket fire followed the government's capture on July 31 of the Khaldiyeh district of Homs, which had been in the hands of mainly Sunni rebels for the past two years.
The rockets crashed into Wadi al-Zaha, Akruma, and Al-Nozha, all districts in southern Homs inhabited mainly by members of President's Bashar al-Assad's Alawite community.
Video footage posted on the Internet by activists showed a huge ball of fire over Homs neighborhoods.
Based on reporting by AP, AFP, and dpa
Link to original story on RFE/RL website